Benny Carter, American Jazz Orchestra - Central City Sketches FLAC album
Title: Central City Sketches
Style: Big Band
FLAC version ZIP size: 1726 mb
MP3 version ZIP size: 1501 mb
WMA version ZIP size: 1488 mb
Other Formats: XM AAC MPC DTS DMF RA WMA
Central City Sketches. Central City Sketches. Eight of Carter's compositions are performed by the all-star American Jazz Orchestra ("Doozy" gets two versions) along with his old theme song "Sleep" and his recently written six-part "Central City Sketches. Virtually every player in this big band was a potential star soloist; among the more notable musicians are trombonist Jimmy Knepper, tenors Lew Tabackin and Loren Schoenberg and either John Lewis or Dick Katz on piano
as is often the case, Benny Carter frequently steals solo honors and his brief trumpet spot on "Central City Blues" is memorable".
Bennett Lester Carter (August 8, 1907 – July 12, 2003) was an American jazz saxophonist, clarinetist, trumpeter, composer, arranger, and bandleader. With Johnny Hodges, he was a pioneer on the alto saxophone. From the beginning of his career in the 1920s he was a popular arranger, having written charts for Fletcher Henderson's big band that shaped the swing style. He had an unusually long career that lasted into the 1990s.
For a limited time only. Kiss from You. Sleep/Central City Sketches.
Benny Carter visited Australia in 1960 with his own quartet, performed at the 1968 Newport Jazz Festival with Dizzy Gillespie, and recorded with a Scandinavian band in Switzerland the same year. His studio work in the 1960s included arranging and sometimes performing on Peggy Lee's Mink Jazz, (1962) and on the single "I'm A Woman" in the same year. Benny Carter and His Orchestra with Miles Davis. Benny Carter, a Life in American Music, Scarecrow Press, (1982) – ISBN 0-8108-1580-X. 1990 Down Beat Critics Poll. Weather bird: jazz at the dawn of its second century By Gary Giddins. Benny Carter: Souvenir of Benny by Alex Henderson, The New York City Jazz Record. Benny Carter's entry in Jazz Improv magazine.
Benny Carter - Central City Sketches Vinyl LP Musical Heritage Soc. MHS 92221F. 5h. Plays Benny Carter - Kansas City Suite Count Basie Vinyl Record.
This suite, Central City Sketches, and the resulting studio-recorded CD released by Musicmasters, were praised by critics who were thrilled that Carter was still creating beautiful, swinging music at the age of eighty. In 1987, Benny Carter was invited to give a concert of his music with the American Jazz Orchestra. The concert would be a career retrospective: classic music he wrote in the 1930s and '40s, compositions from the '60s, including themes he'd written for motion pictures, and a suite composed specifically for the concert.
|1||Doozy (Second Version)||5:20|
|2||When Lights Are Low||5:00|
|3||A Kiss From You||2:53|
|Central City Sketches|
|5||Central City Blues||3:08|
|12||Doozy (First Version)||4:39|
|14||Symphony In Riffs||4:37|
|16||Blues In My Heart||7:00|
- Manufactured By – Nippon Phonogram Co., Ltd.
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Amreco, Inc.
- Copyright (c) – Musicmasters
- Alto Saxophone, Flute – Bill Easley, John Purcell
- Baritone Saxophone, Bass Clarinet – Danny Bank
- Bass – Ron Carter
- Composed By, Orchestrated By [Orchestrations] – Benny Carter (tracks: 1 to 3, 5 to 16)
- Conductor [Musical Director Of The American Jazz Orchestra] – John Lewis
- Conductor, Arranged By [Arranger], Alto Saxophone, Trumpet – Benny Carter
- Drums – Mel Lewis
- Edited By, Sequenced By – Jeffrey Nissim, Loren Schoenberg
- Engineer, Edited By, Sequenced By – Gregory K. Squires
- Executive-Producer, Edited By, Sequenced By – Gary Giddins
- Guitar – Remo Palmier*
- Liner Notes – Gary Giddins
- Piano – Dick Katz (tracks: 1, 3, 5 to 10, 12 to 15), John Lewis (tracks: 2, 4, 11, 16)
- Producer, Edited By, Sequenced By – Leroy Parkins
- Tenor Saxophone – Loren Schoenberg
- Tenor Saxophone, Flute – Lew Tabackin
- Trombone – Britt Woodman, Eddie Bert, Jack Jeffers, Jimmy Knepper
- Trumpet – John Eckert, Marvin Stamm, Bob Millikan*, Virgil Jones
|CIJD 20126Z/27X||The American Jazz Orchestra / Benny Carter||The American Jazz Orchestra / Benny Carter - Central City Sketches (World Premiere Recording) (2xLP, Album)||Musicmasters||CIJD 20126Z/27X||US||1987|
|CIJD 60126X||Benny Carter, American Jazz Orchestra*||Benny Carter, American Jazz Orchestra* - Central City Sketches (CD, Album)||Musicmasters||CIJD 60126X||US||1987|
|MHS 922211F, MHS 912211, MHS 912212||Benny Carter, American Jazz Orchestra*||Benny Carter, American Jazz Orchestra* - Central City Sketches (2xLP, Gat)||Musical Heritage Society||MHS 922211F, MHS 912211, MHS 912212||US||1988|
|MHS 512211H||Benny Carter, American Jazz Orchestra*||Benny Carter, American Jazz Orchestra* - Central City Sketches (CD, Album)||Musical Heritage Society||MHS 512211H||US||1988|